Steps to Filing an Application for a new GMRS Station license in the Universal Licensing System (ULS):
- Go to https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.doto register for your FCC Registration Number (FRN). You will be prompted to register and verify a username account prior to obtaining your FRN.
- Go to https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/login.jspand log in with your FRN and password.
- On the left side of the page, click the Apply for a New License link.
- Choose “ZA – General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS)” from the radio service drop-down list.
- Click Continue to navigate through the application, If you’re unsure how to answer some of the questions, use the default values.
- On the Summary page, review your application and click the Continue to Certify button to continue.
- On the Certification page, sign your application by typing your name in the boxes provided and click the Submit button. (The Title box is optional.)
- The form will calculate your fees. Fees for online filing MUST be received within 10 calendar days of the filing.
- Click the Continue For Payment Options button to choose the method of payment.
Further information can be found at fcc.gov/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs.
The GMRS license rules are found in Part 95, Subpart A of the Code of Federal Regulations. The rules are available at ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title47/47tab_02.tpl.
After your application has been granted (24 to 48 hours), you may also download an official copy of your license by following these steps:
- Go to https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/login.jspand log in with your FCC Registration Number (FRN) and password.
- Click the “Download Electronic Authorizations” link on the navigation bar on the left side of the License Manager home page.
- In the My Authorizations box at the bottom of the page, select the call sign(s) you wish to download.
- Add the call signs to the Authorizations to Download box by clicking the Add button.
- Click the Download button in the lower right-hand corner of the page.
The download will be automatically converted to a PDF file, and you can choose to Open (to print) or Save (to save to a desired folder).
If you have any further questions on a GMRS license or need additional information, please submit a help request online to fcc.gov/wireless/available-support-services or call (877) 480-3201.
FCC Licensing Support Center
8:00 AM – 6:00 PM EST, M – F